Delivering SMHS Health Services
From October 2014, hospital and health services in the south metropolitan area are changing to coincide with the phased opening of Fiona Stanley Hospital. The changes to the South Metropolitan Health Service (SMHS) will increase the ability of our services to accommodate the growing healthcare needs of people living and working in Perthâ€™s southern suburbs and across the State. Adjustments will be made at every hospital and health service in the south metropolitan area. The key changes include:
- Fiona Stanley Hospital will open to deliver a comprehensive suite of clinical services.
- Royal Perth Hospital transitioning some services to Fiona Stanley Hospital (from October 2014 to March 2015), while continuing to be a tertiary hospital.
- Shenton Park rehabilitation campus closing and the State rehabilitation centre opening at Fiona Stanley Hospital (4 October 2014).
- Kaleeya Hospital closing (2 December 2014) and maternity, gynaecology and neonatal services transitioning to Fiona Stanley Hospital and general surgery services transitioning to other SMHS hospitals.
- Fremantle Hospital Emergency Department closing and Fiona Stanley Hospital Emergency Department opening (3 February 2015).
- Fremantle Hospital transitioning to a specialist hospital.
- Armadale Health Service and Rockingham General Hospital transitioning to general hospitals offering more comprehensive levels of service (from mid-2015).
- Bentley Hospital transitioning to a specialist hospital (from mid-2015).
For more information on the changes occurring within the south metropolitan area refer to:
SMHS Clinical Services Plan 2012 - 2020
This plan outlines in detail all of the services provided across the South Metropolitan Health Service. It provides a blueprint for how SMHS will deliver area-wide service models from 2014.
Site Clinical Service Plans 2012 - 2020
These plans outline specifically, the services provided at hospital sites across the South Metropolitan Health Service. They work with the SMHS Clinical Service Plan 2012-2020.
- Armadale Kelmscott Memorial Hospital (PDF 1.8MB)
- Fiona Stanley Hospital (PDF 2.2MB)
- Fremantle Hospital and Health Service (PDF 1.6MB)
- Rockingham General Hospital(includes Peel) (PDF 1.8MB)
- Royal Perth Hospital Group (includes Bentley) (PDF 3MB)
Subscribe to One Focus
One Focus is designed to keep you informed about what is happening in the South Metropolitan Health Service and up-to-date on the major changes that are occurring over the next few years to prepare for the opening of Fiona Stanley Hospital. If you would like to subscribe please email